My go-to breakfast is usually GF oats. I love how many different variations you can make and the topping options are endless. The other day, I ran out of my oats and so I decided to invent my own ‘porridge’ with what I had available in the house.
I absolutely love flaxseed. I sometimes use it in my baking to substitute egg and always try to incorporate it into my breakfast. “Some call it one of the most powerful plant foods on the planet. There’s some evidence it may help reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes.” There are many health benefits of including flaxseed in your diet but the main three would include:
- Omega-3 essential fatty acids: These are the “good” fats that have shown to have heart-healthy effects. One tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s. This fat is also essential for brain function.
- Lignans: These have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed (incredibly) contains 75 to 800 times more lignans than other plant foods. Some say lignans may even protect against cardiovascular disease and breast cancer.
- Fiber: Flaxseed contains both soluble and insoluble fibre – which as we all know, is very important for digestion.
On top of all of this, it’s a very affordable product!
The second ingredient I decided to use was coconut flour. It’s super high in fiber, protein and healthy fats. It is free from all grains, low in sugar, helps maintain blood sugar levels and has a low score on the glycemic index. “Just 2 tablespoons of coconut flour delivers 5 grams of fiber, only 8 grams of carbs, and has just 60 calories. This makes it ideal for those following a lower calorie weight loss plan, watching carbohydrate intake, and looking to increase satiating fiber in their diet.”
So on to my recipe!
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour.
- 1.5 tablespoons flax meal.
- 1/2 cup almond milk. (or any milk you like – coconut milk or cream is great too!)
- 1/2 tablespoon cocoa nibs. (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil.
- 1 Banana.
Extra topping options:
- 1 tablespoon raisins.
- A few Almonds.
- Peanut Butter.
- Almond Butter.
- Protein powder.
- Anything you like!
Let’s get cooking!
- Mix the coconut flour, flax meal, almond milk and cocoa nibs together in a microwavable bowl. The mixture should be quite runny.
- Microwave the mixture for 2.5 minutes or until the mixture seems thicker.
- Add one teaspoon of coconut oil. This makes the mixture super smooth and taste even more like coconuts!
- Add more almond milk if the mixture is too thick – it thickens more as it cools down because of the flax seeds.
- Stir in as much cinnamon as desired.
- Chop up your banana and add it to the porridge.
- Add any other toppings you desire! I added almonds, raisins and more cinnamon.
This porridge is super filling, nutritiously dense and takes about 4 minutes to make. It’s definitely going to be a regular breakfast option. Let me know if you give it a go! xx